Thursday, July 3, 2014

Modern Westerns have been changing a wee bit

As is my custom in the morning after waking up and telling five of my younger siblings no you can't come into my room and ruin my stuff, I booted up my computer and started scrolling across a list of blogs that I follow that frequently provide interesting information. One of which is the Bayou Renaissance Man, who if you haven't yet read up on then you'd best haul your rear over there and correct that problem.

Anywho, he is a darned decent indie author and does an obscene amount of research, so of course I was interested when I came across this article: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2014/07/more-on-e-book-publishing.html

Seeing as how he looked up his writing genre, I thought it would be kind of fun to see what the Ebooks are looking like in the Western area. For research of course, and not because I wanted to see all kinds of pretty book covers with cowboys shooting at each other with guns made of honest to goodness blued steel and American walnut wood.

I racked up around 10,000 Westerns on the Kindle Ebook system, but I found quite a few... um... "variations" on the traditional Western theme. Maybe it's just me, but I thought most books set in the gritty Old West involved trying not to die, bandits, gold, that kind of stuff, y'know? Sure, there is almost always a fair damsel awaiting our brave hero by the end, but I never considered romance to be an integral part of any gritty gunfight.

Now don't get me wrong, there's no shortage of that up thar, but wow, I had no idea there were so many romance versions! Good grief!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A133140011%2Cn%3A154606011%2Cn%3A157028011%2Cn%3A157054011%2Cn%3A157073011%2Ck%3Akindle+ebooks+westerns&keywords=kindle+ebooks+westerns&ie=UTF8&qid=1404413798

I can't go one page without seeing at least one cowboy without his shirt, a light sheen of sweat glistening on his heavily muscled body as he embraces his true love, his hot breath stirring her shining locks of hair...
Man oh man, did I just never see this stuff on previous searches? My brain must have automatically tuned that stuff out, cuz I don't remember this being so popular!

I hope there's still a hungry market for old fashioned, gritty, nail biting action!
Anyway, I thought this would make for a decent laugh. Shoot straight fellow readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment