Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Halloween Monster Movie Madness!

October is one of my favorite months for the sole reason that it gives me the perfect excuse to binge watch creature features, from the corny 50's black and white classics like The Black Scorpion and Creature From The Black Lagoon to the awesome 80's epics with horrifying makeup and effects that even now make people recoil in disgust.

Ohhhhhh yeah, I've got all the classics lined up! Some days I'll do originals and remakes side by side, like the 50's The Thing From Another World and immediately after watch John Carpenter's The Thing remake. Very very different movies based on the same source material, but both stand wonderfully as their own thing. John Carpenter's version is the best, of course, but still, the original is darned fun too! Then of course there is the 50's Invasion of the Body Snatchers which was my first taste of paranoia as a child, and the later remake with Donald Sutherland and the chilling performances and effects. I wish I had both versions of The Fly on hand, but man, I'm not sure if even now I can truly handle the Kronenburg version. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Jaws, Tremors, Them, Arachnophobia, The Blob, Army of Darkness, Ghostbusters, Poltergeist and plenty of others.

Ohhhh ho ho ho yes! I'm going to do my darndest to enjoy plenty of cheesy and horrifying flicks with junk food and soda, and in between those I will be reading HP Lovecraft to candlelight while listening to spooky music.

Bring on the fear for October everyone! Also, if you have any of your own suggestions for 70's and 80's horror movies feel free to make suggestions. I know there are still some epics hidden away that I haven't come across yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment