Friday, March 21, 2014

Well, there's an interesting plot hole

As I sit before my computer now I've been reading Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, Return of the King for the second time. That doesn't exactly make me unique, since this is the epitome of the fantasy genre, and it shouldn't be wondered that in a world as complex and vast as Middle Earth there might be a few chinks in the armor, so to speak.

And no, not the plot hole about the bloody eagles not acting as a taxi service to Mount Doom. Them fell beasts is nasty and would have provided an interesting obstacle with the frigging One Ring bloody flying across the landscape.

But alas, I've encountered a different plot hole. The Mouth of Sauron has just come forth to mock Aragorn and our heroes, casting forth Sam's sword, an elven cloak, and Frodo's mail of mithril. At that last item an alarm went off in my head and my brain buzzed.

For those of you who don't know, mithril is bloody hard stuff, and easily withstood a bloody spear being rammed into it. Tough stuff that! Then it occurred to me: How the devil did Shelob get her stinger through the mail? If hard steel was no match, how would her organic spike fair better? Or is there some magical ability she has that I'm not aware of? I swear she tagged him in the back, just going from the books here.

That or Frodo really failed in his saving roll. This isn't so much a complaint as me just putting my thoughts down. Interesting stuff though. And why am I not reading more right now?

Nerd time! Farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment